World

TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

TV Producer Dies After E-Cigarette Explodes & Burns 80% Of His Body

An autopsy report released his week blamed a vape pen explosion for his death, according to local news media outlets.

The Pinellas County's Medical Examiner ruled the death as accidental.

An exploding vape pen hurled fragments into a Florida man's head, killing him and starting a fire that burned most of his body, an autopsy report said.

The vape pen was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain located in the Philippines. A report previous year by the US Federal Emergency Management Agency found that between January 2009 and December 31, 2016 there were 195 incidents where vape pens overheated or exploded, leading to 133 acute injuries to users, 38 or which were described as "severe".

Nearly 80 percent of Tallmadge's body had thermal damaged, the most affected parts being his head, chest, and back.

Gary Wilder, the owner of a vape pen store in St. Petersburg said that he doesn't think "unregulated" pens are "safe enough".

In its official report on Electronic Cigarette Fires and Explosions, FEMA said "the shape and construction of electronic cigarettes can make them [more likely than other products with lithium-ion batteries] to behave like "flaming rockets" when a battery fails".

More news: Seaside Awards for Bridlington's beaches
More news: YouTube Music set to launch on May 22
More news: East Coast rail franchise brought back under public control

This Tuesday, authorities confirmed that it was an explosion from an electronic cigarette that killed Tallmadge D'Elia in St. Petersburg, Florida, this month.

Deputy fire marshal Steven Lawrence said: 'It can explode and at that point it can project either the pieces of the lighter itself or the vape pen'.

This is the first case of e-cigarette death in the United States.

"Lithium ion batteries fail in other devices as well, but in a laptop, it's on your lap", he said. "It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen".

He explained: 'Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening'.

Protect your vape from extreme temperatures by not leaving it in direct sunlight or in a freezing vehicle overnight.

A company representative told WFTS news that their devices do not explode.