Sci-tech

Apple investigating after man says AirPods exploded

Apple investigating after man says AirPods exploded

He isn't exactly sure what happened to the right AirPod, but he's definitely sure others should be warned.

A Florida man says one of his Apple AirPods started smoking as he was working out at a St. Petersburg gym.

NBC News reported yesterday that "Jason Colon, of Tampa, was listening to a dance mix at the LA Fitness on 4th Street in St. Petersburg when he noticed something odd". "I didn't see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried".

He proceeded to leave the AirPods be and seek help at that point, and when he returned he was shocked by the conditions of the earbuds. Upon his subsequent return, Colon observed that the right earbud was now just a shell of its former self.

More news: Philippine President Duterte halts purchase of 16 Canadian helicopters
More news: Frontier Airlines to being $39 flights from Birmingham
More news: DOJ indicts leaders of cybercrime ring that allegedly stole $530 million

"It's the craziest thing I ever went through", Colon told News Channel 8.

"It was already popped", he said. Note, while Apple doesn't caution against using them at the gym, the AirPods aren't sweatproof and weren't designed for rigorous workouts.

You look at Apple's wireless Bluetooth powered AirPods and you think that here is a benign device that could never cause a problem. "You can see the flame damage". Lithium-ion batteries are known to overheat and explode, but while AirPods do contain batteries, it's not at all clear that they were the cause of whatever happened to Colon's. But I'm sure since it hangs down, it could've been earlobe. "Ear lobe could've been burnt".

It's not the first time a popular product has gone up in flames. Of course, there is also the possibility that Colon received a faulty unit. A company spokesperson told WFLA that it would investigate the claim and would reach out to Colon.