Suspect in December's deadly swatting incident has been charged with involuntary manslaughter

Suspect in December's deadly swatting incident has been charged with involuntary manslaughter

Barriss is now being held in the Sedgwick County jail on a $500,000 bond. Prosecutors chose to pursue manslaughter charges because, in Kansas, murder can only be tried if the death is a result of felonies that were committed. It carries a maximum penalty of 36 months in prison, and a $300,000 fine.

Swatting is when someone calls police with a fake story of a serious ongoing crime in an effort to draw a large police presence to an address.

Law enforcement sources told The Times last week that the dispute that led to the hoax call stemmed from an argument over an online matchup in "Call of Duty: World War II", a recently released first-person shooting game.

The Kansas City Police Department received a 9-1-1 call alleging that a family was being held hostage after the father had been killed by an intruder.

Glendale police believe he was involved in at least two dozen other swatting and hoax calls around Southern California.

"Two young children lost their father because of the unjustified actions of a Wichita police officer". The officer who shot Finch has been placed on administrative leave until the completion of the investigation.

In an interview given days after the incident, Barriss maintained a pedantic position, saying that he was only partially responsible for Finch's death because he was not a Swat team member and didn't fire a weapon. On a financial affidavit filed Friday, Barriss wrote that he had no address, is unemployed and has not worked in the past 6 months.

More news: USA ambassador to Panama steps down
More news: Red dress takes heat amid Golden Globes all-black dress code
More news: Saints march on after 31-26 win over Panthers

The attorney representing the family of a man who is the victim of a swatting prank call says the family is seeking justice.

Authorities say he is also behind 20 other "threat-related" phone calls, including two at LA-area schools.

"People have said before: 'People could die; someone could get shot and killed". The account has been suspended. Instead, Andrew Finch, 28, opened his front door when he saw police lights outside and didn't know why. She also said he wasn't a part of the gaming community. These are people who stream themselves engaging in some sort of activity, typically a video game, to an online audience. "He has better things to do with his time".

Patrol and tactical officers were on the scene quickly and they began evacuating nearby apartment units.

Siegenthaler said a man called 911 on December 22 claiming he had shot his father and was holding his mom and younger brother hostage.

Investigators believe Barriss made the bogus 911 call from Los Angeles after getting in a dispute over the online video game Call of Duty.