Arts&Culture

James Franco wins CCA trophy amid sexual misconduct claims

James Franco wins CCA trophy amid sexual misconduct claims

FILE PHOTO: Actor and honoree James Franco poses at the inaugural IndieWire Honors in Los Angeles, California, U.S., November 2, 2017.

The first allegations of misbehavior surfaced on Twitter during the Golden Globes ceremony, where Franco received a best actor award for his portrayal of Tommy Wiseau in The Disaster Artist, which he also directed.

The Spier-Man actor, 39, had previously said that allegations made on social media after his Golden Globes win were "not accurate".

JAMES FRANCO has been accused by five women of further inappropriate sexual behaviour - four of them ex-students at his NY drama school.

"It was like a slap in my face", said Sarah Tither-Kaplan, a former acting student, and co-star of Francos.

Tither-Kaplan, a 26-year-old student actress, told The Times that during filming a nude orgy scene with Franco and several other women three years ago he removed protective plastic guards covering other actresses' vaginas and simulated oral sex on them.

Franco, like hundreds of other Hollywood elite, wore a "Time's Up" button in solidarity to protest industry sexual misconduct, but some say he shouldn't have had it on.

Stephen Colbert also asked Franco about the allegations during his appearance on Tuesday night's episode of the Late Show.

More news: Zuma fate undecided as ANC NEC meeting focuses on party celebrations
More news: Jose Mourinho says Manchester United's Jesse Lingard making 'jump' to greatness
More news: Donald Trump supporters call for arrest of London's Mayor Sadiq Khan

Judd told the BBC journalist, "I think that what James said is terrific".

"If I have to take a knock because I am not going to try and actively refute things then I will, because I believe in it that much".

Violet Paley, one of the women who accused Franco of misconduct, said Thursday in a telephone interview that his public statements rang hollow and seemed self-serving. "I don't know what else to do", Franco told Colbert in the interview, which was marked by several silences.

Franco's appearance came hours after The New York Times cancelled a public event scheduled Wednesday that was meant to feature "The Disaster Artist" director and star and his brother and co-star, Dave Franco, discussing the film with a Times reporter.

Franco's attorney described the allegations as "not accurate".

Paley, who dated Franco in 2016, has now said that the actor of pressured her into performing oral sex on him. "I would say, 'No, stop, get out of my vehicle.' The power dynamic was really off". She said: "I use twitter to make jokes most of the time".

"I have to do that to maintain my well being".