Spanish prisoner wakes up in morgue after three doctors declare him dead

Spanish prisoner wakes up in morgue after three doctors declare him dead

However, when the man's chest began rising and falling during his funeral, his terrified family called doctors, who came out and confirmed that Doroteo was in fact showing vital signs.

He was found unconscious in his cell on Sunday (Jan. 7), and was believed to be dead, according to the Spanish news outlet La Voz de Asturias.

It's almost as close a call as a Peruvian man who woke up from a coma at his open-casket funeral.

The first words Jiménez uttered after his awakening were about his wife, and he asked if he could see her.

He was taken to the Institute of Legal Medicine in Oviedo for an autopsy.

Relatives have been visiting him in hospital and are said to be feeling a mix of relief and indignation, although none of them have yet made any public comment. A Spanish Prison Service spokesman was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that they had no idea how Montoya was still alive after three physicians confirmed his death.

More news: Serena Williams opens up about postpartum health complications
More news: Two women die from flu virus in Tulare County
More news: 'Black Panther' presale tickets set Marvel record

Montoya Jiménez is now reportedly being treated at the hospital, but is in good condition.

It was not clear what caused the prisoner to appear to be dead.

"The pills are taken as they (the prisoners) want".

Authorities told Mr Jiménez's family that the 29-year-old was believed to have died in his cell at around 8am after he failed to show for the prison's morning count. "He has been in jail three years and he couldn't go on anymore", his uncle Luis Manuel Montoya, was reported saying.

"It's clear that in the jail they do not supervise him nor treat him well", he said, describing how his son had previously attempted to commit suicide by hanging himself and is given pills to cure his anxieties, though that is not enough.

His father José Carlos Montoya, also blamed the prison for negligence of his son's life and demanded for his release.