Sports

Sadam Ali Shakes Up, Outclasses Miguel Cotto in NY

Sadam Ali Shakes Up, Outclasses Miguel Cotto in NY

Six-time world champion Miguel Cotto ended his 16-year boxing career with a unanimous points-decision defeat by Sadam Ali in NY. He went on to win six world titles - most recently a vacant 154-pound belt on August 26 against Yoshihiro Kamegai that Cotto was defending for the first time on Saturday - in four weight divisions: junior welterweight, welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight.

"I am feeling good with the performance", the always classy Cotto, as dignified in disappointment as he always had been gracious in victory, said in reaffirming his intention to enter retirement and enjoy the remainder of his life with his attractive wife Melissa and the couple's two children.

The 37-year-old Puerto Rican, boxing in his 47th professional contest, was unable to handle the pace set by Brooklyn boxer Ali, who is eight years Cotto's junior.

Ali looked confident and loose from the opening bell, showing quick hands and constantly bouncing around the ring. Ali wobbled Cotto in the 2nd with a stunning straight right but seconds later went down via a slip to kill any momentum he may have had.

In the sixth round, Ali's right eye began to swell from eating an assortment of Cotto left hooks.

"I dare to be great, like Oscar De La Hoya says".

After 12 rounds the judges scored the fight 115-113, 115-113, and 116-112 to Ali.

While Cotto double- and triple-jabbed to get inside, Ali stood his ground and fired back, catching Cotto with surprisingly clean punches during the early rounds.

More news: Suspicious package in Germany had nails, power
More news: Austin Rivers Tells Trash Talking Clippers Fan To 'Shut The F*ck Up'
More news: Bills vs. Patriots: Tyrod Taylor hurt in blowout loss (10 observations)

Cotto suffered a torn left biceps just after the midway mark of the 12-round bout, but Ali hurt him twice before Cotto was injured. Now that he's a world titleholder, Ali will surely get some high-profile opportunities in the near future. Ali, who was rated No. 9 by the WBO, is not renowned for his punching power, and his chin has been suspect ever since he was stopped in nine rounds in his previous shot at a world title, against Jessie Vargas on March 5, 2016, in Washington, D.C., with the vacant WBO welterweight belt on the line.

However, this result showed that it might be better for him to hang up the gloves, with a great, entertaining Hall of Fame-worthy career to show for his efforts.

Ali came out for the final round firing punches with both hands.

"Whatever [Golden Boy Promotions] has next, I'll take it". Or maybe Ali did the right thing, preferring to dominate the fight and not get greedy against a hard-hitting veteran?

Cotto was not very nostalgic after the fight but thanked his loyal fans.

"Thank you to all the fans. But this is the opportunity of a lifetime, and I took the challenge against a legend", Ali said. Miguel made the MSG his second home with many of his world title fights at the venue.

After the fight, the crowd lingered for a video presentation of Cotto's career highlights on the JumboTron.