World

Duterte formally ends peace talks with Reds

Duterte formally ends peace talks with Reds

On Thursday, Duterte signed Proclamation 360, declaring the termination of peace negotiations with the National Democratic Front (NDF), the political arm of the Communist Party of the Philippines.

22, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced the cancellation of all planned meetings with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP)/ New People's Army (NPA)/National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP), which he said is "in line with President Duterte's directive that there will be no more peace talks with them".

Among those who walked free were Benito Tiamzon, appointed in October 2016 as NDFP peace panel member, as well as his wife Wilma.

"Rest assured that he will continuously pray that we may all find the peace that we seek for our beloved country in the fullness of God's time,"Roque said".

"We already checked with the office of the Executive Secretary if there was an official document coming from the Office of the President with regard to the pronouncements of the Presidents that the NPAs are terrorists", Duterte-Carpio said.

The CPP leader said the NDFP has always submitted to the Joint Monitoring Committee its complaints against abuses and provocative acts by security forces committed in the name of Oplan Kpayapaan and martial law in Mindanao.

Padilla said the military had been supportive of Duterte's move to pursue peace with the communists, but pointed out that the Left had "not shown any sincerity" while talks were ongoing.

Padilla added the NPA killed 64 military and police officers and members of the Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit, and 70 civilians, including four-month old Walysha Machorao, in the November 9 ambush against a police patrol vehicle in Bukidnon.

More news: Oscar Pistorius: South African court doubles sentence
More news: Jose Mourinho Claims Fellaini Contract Saga Is 'Out of My Control'
More news: Trump Plays Golf With Tiger Woods

He said the government would continue to "closely watch the developments" to determine if the talks could resume later on. Ayaw kong makipag-usap sa kanila.

"It is in this spirit that we appeal to the government to reconsider its plan to categorize the NPA as a terrorist organization", said the church leaders.

"I told Dureza and government chief negotiator Silvestre Bello to tell the idiots, I am no longer talking to them, " Duterte said. I said it will not come during our generation.

But CPP founder Jose Maria Sison questioned the capability of President Duterte to handle the "complexities of the affairs of his state" after he announced he is backing out from the peace negotiations. Only then, he said, can the peace negotiations resume. He said temporary freedom of the communist consultants through the Joint Agreement on Safety and Immunity Gaurantees (JASIG) became void after the cancellation of the peace talks.

Sison said Duterte should have submitted to the Joint Monitoring Committing (JMC), through the government peace panel his complaints as NDFP did for violations on human rights and global humanitarian law committed by government forces.

Jumoad added that in a dialogue, it is important that both parties show "sincerity and honesty". "It is also very frustrating if one party does not follow what has been agreed (upon)", he said.

"The GRP AND NDFP negotiating panels were so happy and confident that they would be able to initial the CASER and the agreements on the general amnesty and release of all political prisoners and the coordinated unilateral ceasefires at the closing session of the fifth round of formal talks and formally sign all these at the closing ceremony of the sixth round in January 2018", Sison said.

"The President has his own basis and he independently made this decision which stemmed from the feedback he had received from different agencies [and] not just from the military, but from police and local government units (LGU) as well", he said.