World

No body found on Peter Madsen's submarine in hunt for missing journalist

No body found on Peter Madsen's submarine in hunt for missing journalist

Peter Madsen is being held on manslaughter charges after Swedish journalist Kim Wall vanished shortly after his 40-tonne amateur submarine sank off Denmark's coast on Friday. And to top it, his submarine sank.

No body has been found in the wreck of a submarine whose inventor is accused of the manslaughter of a woman said to have been board when it sank on Friday. But he told police that he had dropped off the reporter, Kim Wall, at a remote Copenhagen island around three hours into the trip.

Ms Wall had been writing about Mr Madsen and his submarine, which at one stage was the largest privately-made vessel of its kind.

Before his arrest, Madsen appeared on Danish television to discuss the submarine's sinking and his rescue.

"I am fine, but sad because Nautilus went down".

Visited Peter Madsen and talked rockets for 5 hours.

Moller Jensen said there are indications that the Danish inventor deliberately sank his submarine.

However, Mr Moller said yesterday it appeared as though the sub was intentionally sunk, amid media speculation Mr Madsen may have downed the vessel to cover up a crime. "But I guess that was pretty good, because I otherwise still would have been down there".

More news: Drunken American probed for Nazi salute in Germany, police say
More news: China Opposes Japan Statements on South China Sea
More news: Hammond and Fox vow transition will be no 'back door' to EU

Police are hunting for witnesses and camera footage to determine whether the missing woman had disembarked after setting off. It was expected to arrive in the Danish capital by the end of the evening, said a police statement.

Rescue crews reported seeing Madsen standing aboard the submarine wearing trademark military fatigues in the vessel's tower whilst it was still afloat.

A family statement said: "It is with great dismay that we received the news that Kim went missing during an assignment in Denmark". "They were the only two on board [on Thursday]".

When it failed to return, the journalist's boyfriend alerted authorities at about 2:30 a.m. Friday morning, prompting a wide search.

The 40-ton, 18-meter long Nautilus, one of three subs built by Madsen, is now sitting under 7m (24ft) of water with divers unable to enter it safely.

Initially the navy said the 40-ton, almost 18-meter-long (60-foot-long) UC3 Nautilus, which cost 1.5million DKK (£154,000, $200,000) to build, was "found sailing" south of Copenhagen.

When the submarine sank, Madsen blamed the incident on "a minor problem with a ballast tank" that "turned into a major issue".